I got up this morning and had to hurry and get ready for work. This is not a rare occasion of having to hurry-I hate getting out of bed in the morning! J I quickly threw some mousse in my hair and called it good. I did all the typical morning things of making copies, making sure the room was ready and talking with coworkers. Our day started out quite normal, pick up the students, notice they were WIRED because of the rain, breakfast, bellwork, and starting our language arts block. We had read 2 different mysteries, discussed what makes a good mystery and were about to do something extra and fun. The kids were all gathered on the floor by the projector screen ready to go on. Now, it was raining really hard, the hall lights weren’t on, my blinds were closed, lights off, and the screen we were looking at was a dark black with some writing. We were going to start solving the mystery when we were presented with a real-life mystery.
A gentleman had walked into our doorway and asked, “Miss Cooper? Can we interrupt your class for a moment?” Now remember, it is REALLY dark in my room right now. I responded, “Uh, sure. Would you turn the lights on for us?” When the lights turned on, we realized there was a reporter and her camera man, our principal, the secretary, and 5 employees of Office Max. I had no idea what was going on, but I knew something important. My principal looked like she had been crying but I wasn’t sure. The man, come to find out he is one of the regional representatives for Office Max, came in and described why they were invading my room. I had been nominated and was now being awarded as an Office Max “A Day Made Better” teacher. I was absolutely shocked. I was caught totally off guard and didn’t know what to say, so I just cried. I was handed some gorgeous flowers and my framed award. I thought that was all, but I was quickly corrected. They brought in a huge box full of classroom, teacher and student supplies, a new chair, and a whole box of paper. The representative asked Mrs. Hawthorne (our principal) to share why she had nominated me. We both cried. He asked me to share why I decided to teach and what it means to me. We both cried. He asked my students to share why they thought I deserved this award. I continued to cry. There was plenty of water works going on inside the classroom as well as the crazy storm outside. They had also brought a new notebook and mechanical pencil for all of my students and plenty of candy to keep them hyped of for the rest of the week. Mrs. Hawthorne took my class out for Success Maker to allow me to think and talk to the group. The reporter talked to a few of my students and then asked me a couple of questions. I honestly can’t even think what I said, I was completely shocked and overwhelmed.
After we finished up in the computer lab, we went through our giant box. One student commented, “Hey! It’s like your birthday AND Christmas all in one humungous box.” We were all anxious to see what was in the box. This list will be updated tomorrow as well as with some pictures. A new printer/scanner, digital camera, tons of dry erase markers, glue sticks, sticky notes, organizers, pencils, Frindles (a.k.a pens), pencil sharpeners and other wonderful items that I can’t remember right now.
As “A Day Made Better” recipient I can't say THANK YOU enough! I was so surprised and honored to be selected. In looking into the project, there were 17 teachers in Utah awarded and only 2 of us are from Davis School District. I feel so blessed to work at a school with such an amazing principal. She has made some drastic changes in our school environment that has allowed a communicative culture among the staff. I have such a wonderful opportunity to make a difference and positive impact on student lives. I will remember and look back on this day with reverence and eternal gratitude for the wonderful people in my life that have helped me become who I am. I will continue to love and teach the students that come into my class.




1 comment:
Wohoo Em!! I am behind the times, but glad I got to read your story!! You may tell me there is an end to your goodness, but I refuse to believe it ;).
Post a Comment