So we have a walking field trip today to the Heritage Museum in Layton. It is about a 20 minute or so walk from our school, not too bad in my opinion. The final bell rings and I let my students into the classroom and start taking roll. I had 6 students gone, although I knew 4 were going to be gone and another one is a frequent flyer of the tardy pass.
We are supposed to leave the school at 10:30 and I still hadn't heard back from the 2 students that were supposed to be here. The secretary called my room about 10 to find out what time we were leaving, because one of the parents had called in. I didn't hear the excuse, ahem, I mean reason as to why her son wasn't at school yet. He gets here just about the time we are heading out the door. I didn't ask him where he had been, instead I acknowledge his "entrance" and we proceeded on with our field trip.
When we got back to school my students went to computer and I was chillin' in the office talking to the secretary and principal and was told why the boy was late. She said she picked him up from his dad's house and he was barefoot. She realized she couldn't send him barefoot to school on a field trip day so she was going to go and buy him some shoes so he could come. We all kind of laughed about it. Then I took my class out for some free time on the big toy.
I commented on this student's shoes. He said that they were brand new and he got them that morning from Foot Locker. I asked him why he had to get new shoes when he had just gotten a new pair a couple of weeks ago and had worn them the day before. This is where the story turns...... He told me that his other shoes didn't match his outfit. He was wearing black basketball shorts, a white and black shirt with a white and black jersey over the top. He had to have shoes that were only black and white. And his mom gave into his "demands".
This is what I don't get. A family who can't pay for their rent, groceries, student's lunch, come to parent meetings,etc etc etc ( this list could go on FOREVER!) will go out and buy a pair of Air-Jordan's for their 10 year old son just because they need to match his outfit. I wish I could feel sympathetic to their financial situation, but I can't. What are the priorities in life?




1 comment:
That story is so ridiculous its almost comical! So sad!
Post a Comment